Brian

So adding a template to the flow is a single call and connecting its output
is a second call.  Are you simply looking for a single call that would do
both?

Just want to make sure i follow the idea.

One thing that might make sense is to allow a user to drag a template onto
a target component which we would treat as signifying that this is where
the output of that group goes.  This would be cool so long as there is a
single output port of the template being instantiated.