Hi chaps,

-1 from me. IMHO moving the trunk code to 3.x does not really solve the
issue. I'd rather make it more explicit that the standard Nutch (1.x) and
Nutch-GORA (2.x) are two separate beasts for instance by referring to 2.x
as Nutch-GORA in the artifacts we release. This way users won't assume
believe that one is superior to the other. We can keep the same SVN
branches (trunk + 2.x) and use the minor version numbers as a reflection of
the amount of changes produced in the code.

Changing to 3.x would imply a major change of architecture or
functionality, which certainly won't be the case for the next release of
the trunk. When users ask "what is the difference between 3.x and 1.x?"
we'd have to answer "not much", and more importantly when asked "what is
the difference between 3.x and 2.x?" we'd reply "same as between 1.x and
2.x" ;-) Changing the name of the artefacts would clarify things.

This reminds me that our FAQ does not really answer these questions (and
other basic ones), will post about this separately.

Julien

--

Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://twitter.com/digitalpebble