I don't think you need to get rid of the earlier incarnation of the project. ...

Skimming the documents, it appears that ASF has no position on the disposition of the earlier incarnations of the.  I think that maintaining them as mirrors of the Apache code would be best option for the community, for the NuttX trademark, and some protection against a fork with a different, incompatible license. That way, there is only one NuttX, Apache NuttX.

Certainly there are other forks of NuttX all over the internet (not mirrors, but usually older clones), but I think people would always want to go to the authoritative source and currently the world believes that the Bitbucket repository is the authoritative source.  Hopefully that will change over time.
Certainly, there is no benefit to keep an old static version of the last of the earlier incarnation.  Anyone can recover that at will by checking out that last version from GIT.  If we are smart, we can tag the initial Apache import to make that easier.