Hi Brennan,

I agree with your reasoning and welcome the change, but let me expand on the
initial reasoning. below.

On 2019/12/21 07:56:35, Brennan Ashton <bash...@brennanashton.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2019, 11:22 PM David Sidrane <davi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Please help flesh this out.
> >
> > Proposed Workflow Requirements (REQ) and Derived Requirements (DREQ)
> >
> > REQ1) master is branches of apps and nuttx have to always build
> >   REQ1.1) ALL development work is done on branches.
> >     DREQ1.1.1) master is branch protected prevention pushes to it.
> >
> > REQ2) git bisect shall always be able to build master of the project at
> > every commit.
> >      DREQ2.a) merges to master may use squash commits from a PR when
> > atomic commits are needed to insure REC2.
> >       DREQ2.b) merges to master may use rebase commits from a PR when NON
> > atomic commits will for insure REC2.
> >
> > REQ3) Submissions shall be PRs against branches typically master. But PR
> > shall be accepted against other branches.
> >   (i.e netlink_crypto)
> > REQ3.1) naming conventions shall reflect lineage:
> >    REQ3.1.a) naming conventions of branches shall be in the form
> > <root>_<activity>
> >                        master_pr-add_imxrt20, netlink_crypto-pr-bugfix_AES
> >    REQ3.1.b) submissions affecting multiple repos shall use the same
> > branches name on all repos.
> >       DREQ3.1.b.1) CI shall test multiple repos by branch name
> >

> I would like to loosen up the branch naming requirements, it will make it
> harder for people to contribute little things coming from the "GitHub"
> world, it's not something I see too much outside of the workplace. Also the
> generated branches on GitHub from a PR are using the ids.  I'm not trying
> to bring tooling in, but I think we should be aware of this and I think it
> brings minimal gain. I would be more in favor of the title or body of a PR
> doing the linking if we really need the standard to link things together.
> We need to be very sensitive to increases in complexity or we will loose
> new contributors.
>

> > REQ4) committer may collaborate on branches.
> >
> > REC5) While PR's are preferred, patches may be accepted.
> >    DREC5.1) Committers receiving patches shall apply them to a new branch
> > (per REQ3) and open a PR.
> >     REC5.1) Committers shall attribute work to the person submitting patch
> >
> > REC6) All PR requires a review.
> >              DREC6.1) the project shall publish a list of subject experts
> >   REC6.1) Request for review shall be made via email to subject experts or
> > PPMC.
> >   REC6.1.1)  Multiple reviewers shall be required on OS internals.
> >   REC6.1.2)  Multiple reviewers may be required on NON OS internals.
> >

> > David
>

> The rest sounds good. I would say let's start minimal and work up if we
> find quality or complexity issues.
>
> --Brennan

The purpose was accommodating the "repos must be on the ASF infrastructure
edict"[1] .
Which I believe, please correct me if I am wrong, is pure git???

Therefore I was removing the dependency of githubs features on the work flow.
The only way I know how to do this in pure git is: by tag, branch name or SHAL

Since we can not use strike out in this environment:
Would you be ok with adding your edits in a diff like form?

I.e.

-REQ3.1) naming conventions shall reflect lineage:
+REQ3.1) naming conventions may reflect lineage:

[1] mentor's email re:50 years support and how the internet changes

Also having to ignore github workfow for the sake of only being top down herein
would not be my approach, but I am tying to accommodate everyone input.

David