I am fine with either of the following two options (not in any order of
preference):

(1) GitHub issues with separate issues for each repository, i.e., issues
with "apps" are reported against "apps," *not* against NuttX.
     Pros: Convenience and widespread familiarity across the FOSS world.
     Cons: Excludes those who can not access GitHub. Does not support an
issue that affects both repositories. Not running on ASF infrastructure.

(2) Jira, with issues correctly tagged as affecting the OS, or affecting
apps, or affecting both.
     Pros: Running on ASF infrastructure. Inclusiveness for those who cannot
use GitHub.
     Cons: Loss of the conveniences provided by the GitHub option.

Of course, I am open to consider other suggestions that might be offered.
:-)

The implication is the you would be opposed to Bugzilla. Bugzilla is more primitive but is has the advantage of being lightweight and fast.  Most pull-back from Jira would be, I think, because it is a heavyweight solution (but also does much more than just track issues).