On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM Abdelatif Guettouche
<abdelatif.guettou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created a PR copying the release notes from Confluence to ReleaseNote file.
> I did not copy the "Compatibility Concerns" part, that's valuable
> information but I don't think it belongs to that file, just because
> there is a lot of explanation and code snippets which are not well
> suited for the template of that file.
> Speaking of which, I believe we should reconsider the ReleaseNote file
> and its content.  It's hard to navigate a 27K+ file.   That's a
> discussion for another thread, just put it here as a reminder for
> myself.

Hmmm... I believe that the whole point of Release Notes is to point
out things like Compatibility Concerns that our downstream users and
developers will want to know about before they attempt to update and
learn the hard way that their code doesn't build or doesn't run
correctly. But that's just my opinion. Let's see what others think.

Perhaps we could consider an alternate solution: Instead of one huge
ReleaseNotes file that will only continue growing without bounds,
perhaps the ReleaseNotes file should document the latest release only,
and all prior release notes could be moved to separate files in a
subdirectory? Each time we make a release, move ReleaseNotes into that
subdirectory (and rename it, e.g., ReleaseNotes-9.1) and create a new
ReleaseNotes file in its place?

Thoughts?

Nathan