Ben,

I just went through this with my codebase. All in all, it hasn't been too
bad.

I think most of your answers can be found:

here for 9.0
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTX/NuttX+9.0
and here for 9.1
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTX/NuttX+9.1

I'll point out a few of the issues I hit:

I had problems with not having any heap allocated because of this change:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTX/NuttX+9.1#NuttX9.1-RenameEXTRADEFINEStoEXTRAFLAGS

I also was using the set command inside of a script that I was running
using  the sh command.
As Greg pointed out for me:

The sh command now behaves like the bash 'sh' command... it does modify
> the environment of the caller.  The old behavior of 'sh' is now called
> 'source'.  So this should work:
>
> echo "set TEST hello" >> /mnt/sdcard0/env.nsh
> source /mnt/sdcard0/env.nsh
>
> sh and source now conform to OpenGroup.org standards.

Hope this helps and best of luck.