I scanned through the wiki off 9.1 and could it be I am missing "tools" as
a package which is used in previous releases?

Maybe it is best, as a dev/user, I just have to try and clone the 9.1
branch (apps and nuttx) and see if my apps and drivers (which have some
fixes in 8.2) are working and that I can still build and configure Nuttx
like I was used to do. And that my board and apps are still working.