Regarding Markdown:

I don't feel like I contribute here enough to have meaningful vote, but:

Readmes in Markdown are present in almost every GitHub, GitLab project. In
particular in almost every Python, Node.js, React/Angular/Vue project.

Also quiclky looking at some C projects
- https://github.com/lvgl/lvgl/blob/master/README.md
- https://github.com/ARMmbed/littlefs/blob/master/README.md
- https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/blob/master/README.md

`.md` extension stands for Markdown.

It seems to be the de-facto standard.

> Plain text is the best on cmd line environments (ssh/putty)

Markdown is still a plain text.

> I would second that: (1) plain text with no embedded tags, and (2) no new
tools.

No new tools are required. The only difference is that some editors and
GitHub will display it in more readable way.

It is almost like the previous text format that is already in the repo, it
is just standardized and widely adopted.

Syntax is non intrusive. It clearly separates code fragments with
backticks. Renders headers and lists in a more readable way. Allows for a
table, image and clickable link from time to time.

It also allows separating code fragments and then it enables
syntax-highlighting. This improves readability greatly.

The format is actually simpler than the current one.

Regarding RST format:

It is a similar concept. It just seems to be a little bit more complex
to help writing documentation of code in larger projects. I am seeing it
for the first time, but I am also happy to help
with Adam Feuer effort if you would decide to use this one.

What I think would be great, is to pick any of this two standards. I was
trying to parse existing documentation how it is now and it is problematic.
The conventions
are not always followed and fragments of code randomly glue to text when I
am trying to retrieve paragraphs from it. My parsing issue is not relevant,
but standardization is important.
And Markdown is more readable, thanks to support from modern tools like
VSCode or GitHub/Lab. While still being readable in Vim through SSH.