> TIMER capture + PPI enables you to get exact times of radio events. Without
> this you probably cannot handle TIFS or window widening properly.
> There is hardware support for TFIS but it is usable only for RX -> TX
> transition.  For TX -> RX you have to use TIMER capture to know how long
> you should wait in RX state.

I was not aware of the limitation of TFIS only working for RX -> TX. Where is
that documented?
On nRF52832 PS I see:

TIFS is only enforced if END_DISABLE and DISABLED_TXEN or END_DISABLE and
DISABLED_RXEN
shortcuts are enabled. TIFS is only qualified for use in BLE_1MBIT mode, and
default ramp-up mode.

Which would seem to work for for both TX and RX. Anyway, I understand now there
may be some subtle
timings I have not yet encountered for which TIMER may be needed.
In any case, I see now that TIMER/RTC can be interlinked with RADIO via PPI so
that appears the way to go.

> > I looked a bit at Zephyr's stack, and in the process found this video
> which cleared some questions about the code (which is quite complex):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIicvcriWR8
>
> The code in Zephyr is complex and completely unreadable :)

Yes, I was a bit shocked when looking at the code from inside.