Robert,
I dug into this a little more, and I am fairly confident that the PCI
subsystem will find your device since it properly traverses the
bridges and can identify multiple buses.

A couple things that are probably important to check, you are not
using the COM port on your motherboard for this testing right?  There
is no support for a VGA console right now and the OS is expecting to
be able to write to the physical serial port.

The warning you are getting in Grub is because the OS is asking for
the bootloader to put the VGA controller in Text Mode, unfortunately
that warning you are getting about the console is letting us know that
the Grub is using UEFI which does not allow switching to text mode.  I
had implemented a VGA text mode console, but we cannot use this
because of this limitation.  I started adding support for the graphics
mode so we can get a console drawn on the screen to help with
debugging, but that is going to have to be a weekend project.  I did
get the graphics mode configured so I suspect it will not be too bad,
but there are a lot of moving bits.

--Brennan