I understand that the commit is NOT the root cause, rather it indicates an existing issue.
That's why I am posting here.
It is difficult to see any relationship between that commit which only generates an assertion (and which does not happen in your case).  I think you will need to take some time to analyze the a bit.
It's impossible for me to track this down today. Maybe I will spend some time on Friday. But I think it indicates a critical problem, in case anyone has the time to check on this.
I would be interested if anyone else can replicate this problem.