I'm thinking:

1) that the LVGL Gregory linked to is a contender for the graphical interface,
only for LVGL of course, to do the calibration
2) The existing calibration routines in nuttx-apps (e.g. ccalibration for NXWM
as suggested by Alan C. Assis) is a great alternative for non-LVGL
implementations
3) Developers can write their own front end if preferred.

All produce the necessary offsets and scale factors etc.

In my case, the screen is only used by pudgy, often gloved, fingers so absolute
accuracy is not required; any variations between displays are not an issue as
there are large touch button areas that are difficult to miss!

That just leaves the question of where/how to calculate compensated x/y
co-ordinates that take the offsets into account.

I see there is CONFIG_TSCALIBRATION used by platform_setconfig, currently only
used by mikroe boards that I can see, along with some structs (i.e.
sCalibrationData) but there is no "generic" TSD driver in nuttx/drivers.

Perhaps that is something that one day might be a useful enhancement, as it
could then standardise the struct(s) etc. and provide "methods" along the lines
of efuse, power/supply, and so on.

Ultimately, the offsets/scaling do need to be applied somewhere though, and to
me, IOCTL to the ADC driver feels right. In the case of the SAMA5 a read via
the character driver is what actually initiates a TSD sample, so the overhead
of calculating offsets seems acceptable, but other processors/implementations
could do this on a timer etc so it's not a definitive approach.

I will implement IOCTLs, using the sCalibrationData struct as the argument and
see how I get on.