On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 at 10:43, Brennan Ashton <bash...@brennanashton.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2023, 5:22 PM Andrew Dennison <andrew.denni...@motec.com.au
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Nuttx Dev,
> >
> > We are negotiating with the authors of the linux device driver for the
> CTU
> > CAN FD IP core to it re-licenced from GPL to so the driver can then be
> > ported to Nuttx.
> >
> > I've seen various licencing examples in the nuttx code base: but no high
> > level description that gives a definitive answer. For example there are
> > some cases where Authors are preserved and the code is BSD-2-Clause or
> > BSD-3-Clause (not Apache-2.0).
> >
> > We would appreciate some feedback on whether the proposal from Pavel
> below
> > is acceptable or if any minor adjustments would help.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Andrew Dennison
> > Chief Architect and Hardware Team Lead
> > MoTeC (A Bosch Company)
> >
> > On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 19:48, Pavel Pisa <p...@fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
> >

> > > OK, consider driver code license and NuttX compatible.
> > > We need to discuss what will be actual variant and file
> > > headers text. I suggest
> > >
> > > // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+ OR BSD-2-Clause OR Apache-2.0
> > >

> /*******************************************************************************
> > >  *
> > >  * CTU CAN FD IP Core
> > >  *
> > >  * Copyright (C) 2015-2018 Ondrej Ille <ondrej.i...@gmail.com> FEE CTU
> > >  * Copyright (C) 2018-2020 Ondrej Ille <ondrej.i...@gmail.com>
> > self-funded
> > >  * Copyright (C) 2018-2019 Martin Jerabek <martin.jerabe...@gmail.com>
> > > FEE CTU
> > >  * Copyright (C) 2018-2020 Pavel Pisa <p...@cmp.felk.cvut.cz> FEE
> > > CTU/self-funded
> > >  *
> > >  * Project advisors:
> > >  *     Jiri Novak <jno...@fel.cvut.cz>
> > >  *     Pavel Pisa <p...@cmp.felk.cvut.cz>
> > >  *
> > >  * Department of Measurement         (http://meas.fel.cvut.cz/)
> > >  * Faculty of Electrical Engineering (http://www.fel.cvut.cz)
> > >  * Czech Technical University        (http://www.cvut.cz/)
> > >  */
> > >
> > > I am not sure if that is acceptable for NuttX mainline, but I do not
> like
> > > process which stripped all information about real code authors when
> > > NuttX has been absorbed by Apache. The Copyright (C) statementscan be
> > > replaced
> > > by text "Authors list"  if copyright of NuttX copy should be
> transferred
> > > to Apache. But I would tend to keep list of authors who invested time,
> > > lot of it even from own spare one...
> > >

> I want to call out one thing that does not seem right. That information is
> retained here
> https://github.com/apache/nuttx/blob/master/LICENSE
>

> This is covered here
> [...]
Hi Brennan,

Thanks for the additional information - I hadn't found the Apache link as I
was just looking at Nuttx in isolation and missed any reference there is to
that other page. From the apache link it would seem the following would be
acceptable:

1) The file headers can contain "// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+ OR
BSD-2-Clause" and the author copyrights as proposed by Pavel. Note that I
have not included the Apache-2.0 licence as this does not seem to be
required, but I'm not sure it makes a difference either way.
2) The top level nuttx LICENCE file is updated with a statement that the
ctu_can_fd driver is being used under the terms of the BSD-2-Clause licence

Kind Regards,

Andrew

--
*MoTeC Pty Ltd*

121 Merrindale Drive
Croydon South 3136
Victoria Australia
*T: *61 3 9761 5050
*W: *www.motec.com.au <https://www.motec.com.au/>

--
 <http://www.facebook.com/motec.global>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/MoTeCAustralia>

--
 <https://www.motec.com.au>

--

Disclaimer Notice: This message, including any attachments, contains
confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose and