On 9/6/2023 5:15 AM, alin.jerpe...@sony.com wrote:
There are known CAN sources that have GPL code and have been documented in the
LICENSE File

All this code is protected under the include GPL code config option and
disabled by default

Is this approach approved or we should completely remove the GPL code from
NuttX?

My understanding is that there can be no GPL code in any way in the Apache project repository.

In the case of the CANFD code, it has a dual license, GPL or BSD-3.  I don't recall all of the details but, as a podling at the time, we discussed this pretty thoroughly with our mentors and the inclusion of the dual licensed third party code was found acceptable.  Justin McClean was involved in this discussion.  I briefly looked for the e-mail thread that addressed this, but I could not find it so my recollection might be faulty,.

Any pure GPL should be removed in my opinion.