Dear All,

I just plugged in the Atmel ICE programmer. I am currently working with my
Ubuntu GNU/Linux machine. Here are the version details:

raman@foo:~/Skullets$ uname -a
Linux foo 6.2.0-36-generic #37~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Oct 9
15:34:04 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I invoked `dmesg' to check if the Atmel ICE is getting enumerated. Here is
the
output of dmesg.

[10286.164950] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 11
[10289.787841] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
[10289.936757] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=03eb,
idProduct=2141, bcdDevice= 1.01
[10289.936773] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=3
[10289.936779] usb 1-2: Product: Atmel-ICE CMSIS-DAP
[10289.936785] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Atmel Corp.
[10289.936790] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: J42700053627
[10289.941501] hid-generic 0003:03EB:2141.000A: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID
v1.11 Device [Atmel Corp. Atmel-ICE CMSIS-DAP] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input0

I had to create a quick configuration file for OpenOCD. Before jumping into
the
AVR32 hacks, I wanted to make sure the ICE works at all for a known target.
picked the SAMD21 target. I read about it here [1]. On invocation, I get
this
output:

raman@foo:~/Skullets$ sudo openocd
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.12.0+dev-00342-g21f17260d (2023-09-28-16:32)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override
use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections
Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections
Error: unable to find a matching CMSIS-DAP device

Am I missing something? The vendor and product IDs match.

Reflections from a couple of months ago: On Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (the one I'm
running on this machine), I wasn't able to get the AVR32DEV1 OR Mizar32 to
show
up on /dev as an ACM device - like it normally would.

I read [2]. It wasn't very helpful in my case. Could the problem with ICE be
about [2]? I would assume that they are somehow connected. Alan, have you
seen
this before?

Just thoughts: I wanted to seek your opinion:

1) Alan, which GNU/Linux distro do you use? I am willing to move to another/
switch GNU/Linux distribution if that is what it takes to solve the Atmel
ICE
problem - OR just the debug problem in general on GNU/Linux for AVR32 on
NuttX.

2) Just as an example: to inform you of my approach to a similar problem: I
hacked RT-Thread recently for the Mizar32 platform. I had build problems
with
it as well.
I worked with Microchip Studio for the entirety of the hack. To get things
work (debug, see if the chip boots at all, hard-faults), I bypassed the
(scons) build system and moved only what was necessary into Microchip
Studio.
Just C files and the toolchain configuration. Simply minimal.

Assuming I keep the bare minimum requirement - for example UART, GPIO for
debug and the boilerplate (interrupts, exceptions, context switching, stack
for example) for NuttX to boot, is there a list of files I can move into
Microchip Studio? i.e. without going to Make OR CMake. No file system, mkfs
OR
other luxuries. Just wondering: Can I get CMake OR Make to list the files it
is about to compile? i.e. given its target BSP.

3) Can I try this hack with an older version of NuttX? I would assume an
older
(yet stable) version of NuttX still supports AVR32. Assuming I get the bare
minimum port to work with Microchip Studio for avr32dev1 OR Mizar32, I am
sure
there's a way (with git perhaps) to "sort of" cherry-pick the newer awesome
features of NuttX. OR would this approach be tricky?

I am yet to connect the FTDI dongle to see if I can see nsh. I will write
back
in an hour OR so.

Highest regards,