Hi Raman,

On 11/20/23, Raman Gopalan <ramangopa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Alan,
>
> I confirm the following settings from the NuttX make menuconfig. RX: PA24,
> alternate function 0. TX: PA23, alternate function 0. So, this is correct.
> Greg's user manual helped. I just grepped for the definitions.
>
> I see that the MCUZone's AT32UC3B isn't very different from the AVR32DEV1.
> Also,
> Alan's link helped. Thank you Alan. I didn't know the document existed
> online.
>
> I just made the jumper connections:
>
> 1) FTDI's ground -> Board's ground (J2, pin 32 - from the schematic).
> 2) FTDI's RX -> Board's TX (J1, pin 15: CPU pin 47, PA_23)
> 3) FTDI's TX -> Board's RX (J1, pin 28: CPU pin 59, PA_24)

Yes, it is seems fine!

> I configured `minicom' with 57600, 8, 0, 1. I see both user LEDs on. Yet,
> nothing on the minicom except for one strange character. I did
> notice/thought of
> two things/possibilities:

Do you have a logic analyzer? That strange character could be
something, case the clock is incorrect.

> a) menuconfig -> Device Driver -> Serial Driver Support -> USART1
> Configuration -> Uses 2 stop bits. The default numeric value assigned for
> this
> is 0. Is that right? Does 0 indicate "no stop bits"?

That is correct.

> b) And I quote from Alan's observation:
>
>> AVR32DEV1, but it has the 32KHz crystal soldered in the board:
>
> Alan, I see two crystal oscillators on the board. They have called
> (reference
> designators) them Y1 and Y3. They are 12 MHz and 32.768 KHz respectively. I
> would assume that the latter has something to do with the CPU's RTC. By any
> chance, is our external crystal on our dev kit different from the value on
> Greg's dev kit? Perhaps the clock configuration is incorrect?

The board is configured to use a 12MHz crystal, so the value is correct.

> Alan and Greg: thank you so much for the links to the dev kit reference
> manual.
> They are very helpful. Finally, I just wanted to see how the clocks are
> configured with RT-Thread to compare. I now remember that I used the
> Microchip's
> ASF (at32uc3b0256) device abstractions for it. It wasn't very
> straightforward
> for me to compare the settings with arch/avr32/at32uc3_clkinit.c.

You are welcome, thank you for this great investigation about this issue!

Best Regards,

Alan