RMII just means it uses fewer I/O pins from the MCU as compared to MII. I
don't remember the details either but it's possible that some chips support
RMII and not MII because they don't have the additional I/O pins.

Tiva-C (arch/arm/src/tiva) supports RMII (the chip has the built-in MAC and
PHY) so maybe you can use that as a general example. Of course the details
of drivers for STM32 will be quite different.

Cheers
Nathan