@Alan,

Thanks for the hints.

From your message I will assume that this direct mode is not supported by
default, so I need to start looking into it.

I already have a basic hardware setup includes a STM32F7 custom board and an
imx8m custom board, all prototypes. So it would be easier for me to start from
these platforms @Nathan.

As the GPIO resources are always against us, RMII would be a more realistic
choice to me.

In general level I have known it is possible, as I can find some successful
cases in other platforms. And I will not worry too much about imx8m side which
running Linux, which supports direct mode through RMII as claimed.
I will be appreciated that if any Nuttx specific information/discussion about
this feature that you can also share? This may prevent me from wasting time on
something you may already explored.

On hardware level, not sure if you can help to confirm my following
understanding,

1. MDIO pins are not mandatory, so these 2 pins are not used  on current
prototypes in order to save GPIOs for other purposes.
2. 50MHz Reference clock is provided from a shared crystal to feed into both
side.

All the best,
/Roland