Wow. This subject sure took off from my original dilemma.

Actually, there's an element of truth to what Chris said. At first glance the policy seems mean-spirited. But as was mentioned in another reply, it's a good way to train the submitters.

Personally, I have a pretty thick skin, so what David proposed doesn't offend me or discourage me. Instead, it motivates me to take a closer look at what my IDE and SVN client are doing to cause these unintentional formatting changes.

I truly appreciate the time David took to address my problem. Without his detailed description of the problems with my patches, I wouldn't know what was wrong with them.

David E. Jones wrote:

I'm not sure what to say, perhaps what I originally said would be  helpful:

"People tend to slip things into patches accidentally all the time. I'm tempted to begun the voting process for a new policy that says that if there is anything in the patch file not described in the summary of the patch, then it will be rejected..."

-David