David E. Jones wrote:

The general release policy for OFBiz has been established and documented and the information is available here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/1wE

I believe this is an actionable plan that we as a community can reasonably deliver and that will hopefully also allow people who want to contribute to participate in the release preparation and support process. This is obviously not yet set in stone though it has been discussed and hopefully all concerns have been voiced.

If you do have concerns about the release process, please start a new thread with them (ie don't just reply and change the subject, click on your new message button to create a brand new message) as the purpose of this thread is to discuss the timing of a release branch.

So, when shall we create a release branch?

A few of my thoughts on this:

1. we'll be doing it approximately once per year and this is our first one as an official Apache top level project 2. due to our committer situation we have a pretty good backlog of Jira issues that should probably be at least thoroughly reviewed, if not resolved, before we commit too much to a state of the code; we're working on adding committers now (a total of 6, should they choose to accept), but it may take a few weeks to get everyone setup 3. we are hoping to finish off and clean up a bunch of stuff in the developers conference on March 5-9, so doing it after that might be better, but that's certainly not required

Any feedback and thoughts on this would be well appreciated. I don't feel like I have enough information or community feedback right now to even make a proposal on this, let alone push it toward a decision (ie a PMC vote or the like).

This is really something done on behalf of users of OFBiz and is not as critical to those of us who are regularly involved in development and who have structured our businesses such that we work from the trunk so that as much as possible of our work can go right back into the project. I say that just to reinforce the point that I don't think where I'm sitting is the best vantage point to see what would serve the community best.

Thanks in advance,
-David

I'd suggest later in March after all this stuff and any new work in the Developer conference has been tested and stabilized.