On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:19 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

What is the best/easiest way (if possible) to implement the bulk printing of a set of PDF reports that share the same template (aka screen widget definition)? For example, generate a big PDF with all the purchase orders in the created approved status; the pdf can then be printed and so that the purchase orders are sent by mail to the suppliers.

Ideally I'd like to reuse the existing screen definition that defines the single document and just iterate over it and put the output into a single PDF file.

Any hints/ideas on how to implement this?

The itext library does have tools for combining PDFs into a single big PDF. We use this in the CompDoc stuff in a content manager.

If the docs are too big you might have memory problems, but otherwise that should work fine.

Alternatively, something for server side printing that just adds the documents to a queue for asynchronous printing might work even better. I guess you could create a service that prints (or creates and prints...) a single document and use the service engine for the job management.