Jacopo,

I think there are three main user needs:

1) User driven Adhoc Query By Example 'live data' reports
2) Analytics
3) Predefined reports.

Query by Example reports are usually driven by the end application user.
Used adhoc, they allow the user to find out what is currently happening
in the live system.  After the initial creation, if they are regularly
run, this means they are becoming a management tool and usually get
converted to a predefined report.

Analytics are usually 'what if?' style reports.  They are effectively
the same as QBE, but they are usually run by senior management. They are
usually run against a data warehouse/OLAP cube and allow the comparison
of historical data.

        E.g.
        how many sales did we have last year?
        how many sales last month?
        what are the sales currently at?
        what is the underlying cause of the sales trends?

Predefined reports are those that have precise layout/data requirements
(e.g. management board reports).  They can also have complex links/drill
downs to other reports/data.  They are also usually used as a management
tool as the report contents and data rules are usually well defined and
documented for end users.

My experience is in (some) ETL, Analytics (mostly OLAP) and (lots of)
Predefined reporting, but willing to investigate QBE.  There are a lot
of good tools out there I would recommend looking at:

 - SpagoBI for QBE
 - Pentaho Kettle for ETL (don't think we should couple ETL to minilang)
 - Pentaho Mondrian/JPivot Analytics (although my experience is Cognos)
 - Eclipse BIRT for predefined reports

There are other areas such as dashboards, data mining, etc, but then you
are looking at integrating a complete B.I. infrastructure such as
Pentaho.  I think the above list is enough to start with!

Cheers,

Chris