Was going to write more but I guess I should at least get something out!

My general opinion is that the order screen enhancements are a better approach.
I don't think we need or want quotes to be so complex and try to reproduce the
incredible amount of stuff in the order model and functionality.

-David

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
In my opinion, one of the areas in which OFBiz could be greatly improved is the order editing process in general. The existing services and screens are well suited for sporadic changes to already created orders, but they are not good enough when you need more control over what you are doing or for use cases where orders are big and complex and they are created and edited in multiple sessions.

I see two good path we could follow (and they are not mutually exclusive):

1) improve/enhance the edit quote screens; this will mostly address the use case of complex orders; all the work will be done in the quote and when it is good enough it will be transformed into a real order; however we will need to enhance many aspects of the quotes (to take into account billing/shipping addresses, geo rules, taxes, shipping costs etc...)

2) create new screens (e.g. adding new subscreens to the view order screen) and services to edit order items, adjustments, addresses and contact mechs, payment preferences and payment transactions, shipment groups and reservations, etc...

For #2, in order to have a greater control of what is happening, I think we should find a way to disable all the services running by ecas; the best way of doing this is probably that of using a special flag (or status) on the order to mark it as a "work-in-progress/on hold": if the order is in this status no eca will run; as soon as the flag/status will be removed all the checks/ecas will be executed and all the issues will be shown in an screen ("issues with the current order") so that the user can fix them before releasing the order.

Does it make any sense?