We are past the 3 month time frame that was initially hoped for as sufficient
to stabilize a release branch. We could do a release any time, but until some
thorough testing and review is done I don't know if that really makes sense. We
still want to get people involved in the branch as opposed to just downloading
and using the binary release.

To take the next step I agree with Scott, we need to hear from those who are
using the release branch in any way, preferably as a basis for real world
solutions.

So, here is a request to the community: if you are using the release4.0 branch,
please write to us and share your experiences and thoughts on the stability of
the branch.

If you aren't comfortable sending this to the public mailing lists, feel free
to send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and that will only go to the Project Management
Committee.

I think at this point what we do with this is pretty simple. If we hear from
people with generally positive feedback we'll do a binary release and hopefully
attract more users to it by doing so. If not, we'll wait a bit longer until
more of us have a desire to invest in it.

Thanks!
-David

Scott Gray wrote:
Hi Jacques

That's not entirely true, while I did commit a lot of fixes I'm not actually
making heavy use of the release branch.  It would be good to hear from
people who are making use of the branch.

Regards
Scott