Okay, I found a reply from Al Byers in a July 3, 2007 content management thread
(user ml):

"So contentId is for the parent and contentIdTo is for the child."

Unless there are any objections, I will assume that is the correct method.

Adrian Crum wrote:

One other thing -

eCommerce forum ContentAssoc.contentIdTo contains the "child" message (or reply to "this" message).

Content Manager forum ContentAssoc.contentIdTo contains the "parent" message (the message "this" message replied to).

Which method is correct?

Adrian Crum wrote:

I'm trying to debug the forum section of the Content Manager component and I need help.

In the eCommerce forum, Content.ownerContentId contains the contentId of the "parent" message - which created a nice tree structure.

In the Content Manager forum, Content.ownerContentId always contains the contentId of the forum. The tree structure is persisted in the ContentAssoc entity.

Which method of building the message tree is the preferred method?