David,

Thank you for the replies! They are helpful.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

If I remember right ownerContentId was used for security purposes, permissions and such. In fact, it should ONLY be used for this purpose.

I'm not sure how the permission checking code is working right now, but if it does a tree walk base on the ownerContentId then it doesn't matter which way is used. They would just be different ways of structuring content for security purposes, probably depending on the application.

-David

Adrian Crum wrote:

I'm trying to debug the forum section of the Content Manager component and I need help.

In the eCommerce forum, Content.ownerContentId contains the contentId of the "parent" message - which created a nice tree structure.

In the Content Manager forum, Content.ownerContentId always contains the contentId of the forum. The tree structure is persisted in the ContentAssoc entity.

Which method of building the message tree is the preferred method?