Hi Julian,

You don't need to assign the task to yourself for begin to work on it, simply
provide a patch when done

New features are always only implemented in trunk

The official repository is SVN but you can use and provide a svn formatted
patch in the Jira

One important point, will you provide a plugin patch or do you need to change
the framework

https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-framework

https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-plugins

Thanks