I'm not familiar with commonext or exampleext, but the purpose of the
entity-ext component was to allow the entity engine to exist without the
service engine.  That's why all the entity-related logic that relies on the
service engine is implemented there (EECAs, EntitySync, DCC).  The
alternative would be to have that stuff in the service engine, it can't
exist in the entity engine because you'd have a circular compile-time
dependency.

It effectively exists as a "disentanglement" of the entity and service
engines.

Regards
Scott