Scott is making a good point about entity-ext: in my opinion the design is
good (but can be improved).
I suspect that commonext and exampleext have a less clean implementation
and maybe they do not even implement that pattern, I see less value in them.

One comment on entity-ext: In my opinion we should (for this and for
several other parts of the framework) continue the work to make the
framework code more modular (with core independent modules and with
extended modules that depend on them etc...) but I don't think that the
building block should be the "OFBiz component" as it is now. It would be
better to rely on jar files instead.
For example:
entity-core-api.jar
  entity-core-impl.jar
service-core-api.jar
  service-core-impl.jar

service-entity.jar that provides the integration of services with the
entity engine and depends on entity-core-api.jar and service-core-api.jar

We could define several granular modules that would allow to deploy
different flavors of the framework, e.g.:
1) entity-core-api.jar + entity-core-impl.jar: entity engine available to
legacy applications (built from scratch)
2) service-core-api.jar + service-core-impl.jar: service engine available
to legacy applications (built from scratch)
3) entity-core-api.jar + entity-core-custom impl.jar: custom entity engine
available to legacy applications (built from scratch)
etc...

Jacopo