Hi Mathieu,

Apologies if gmail mess up email quoting.

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 at 10:33, Mathieu Lirzin <mathieu.lir...@nereide.fr>
wrote:

> PS: Votes in regards code modification in a community with PMC members
> that basically disagree on everything else than “We are an awesome
> community” is not a solution to anything because any veto with a valid
> technical decision like for example “JMockit is redundant with Mockito
> purpose which is already used” would simply block your proposition, so a
> vote for code modification serves only to validate a consensus. [1]
>
> [1]
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#votes-on-code-modification

The link regarding voting is helpful, thank you. It gives me an insight
into how decisions get accepted.

We already have a +1 from James.   Can I count on your vote, Mathieu? :)

Regarding the example argument “JMockit is redundant with Mockito purpose
which is already used”:
I hope I've demonstrated in this thread that Mockito is not fit for purpose
in this particular case due to the architecture of the MacroFormRenderer
class; and that refactoring MacroFormRenderer without the support of tests
is risky and therefore a worse proposition that introducing JMockit.
Therefore a veto with that particular argument shouldn't be considered
valid.

Also, since we are only discussing test code, we can easily remove them
later if sentiment goes against JMockit.

> > with a view to retire and replace them with more standard and
> > recognisable Mockito tests once made possible through refactoring.
>
> I would suggest seeking the goal of adopting basic dependency injection
> with explicit method/constructor arguments which leads to simpler tests
> and is a sign of well designed code, instead of seeking the replacement
> of advanced mocking techniques with less advanced ones.  Mocking is
> sometimes useful but should be avoided when possible.

I'd happily support this and leave the JMockit tests in place if that is
considered reasonable after refactoring the class to introduce dependency
injection. But I also wouldn't stand in the way of later conversion to
Mockito if the community wanted it.

In summary, I'm asking the community to accept introduction of a new
mocking library to support a longer term piece of refactoring work.

Committers! Bring me your +1 and lets get these PRs merged :)

Thanks,

Dan.

--
Daniel Watford