Wow, I didn't even realize we were considering something to change ports on the fly. Has anyone even done a proof of concept to see if the various infrastructure pieces we're using even support that? I guess in theory they should, but you're getting into a LOT more than just reading and writing files or something... you may have to unload and reload different objects and everything that depends on them.... Beyond a proof of concept that would also have to be tested a lot because those tend to be error prone sorts of things, especially when the infrastructure was not originally written with that in mind.

-David

On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

To use the http port setting again. If you're using the UI to change the port and you only change one of the files, you likely will have to go back and change the file by hand after a restart because the UI won't be accessible. Whereas if it were changed in a transactional manner it either fails and you're presented with the same UI or it passes and the new settings take effect properly.

Also in the case of conflicting changes. Beanshell, email, http, etc all need to be running on different ports. If you happen to have them running on a port that Ofbiz already has in use, you likely won't be able to get back to a UI to correct the mistake. In a transactional manner, you're able to run a service to verify such things before committing it back to the file system.

----- Original Message ----
From: David E Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: dev@ofbiz.apache.org
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 11:35:33 PM
Subject: Re: OfBiz System Configuration Wizard

The transactional nature sounds wonderful, but what problem does it
actually solve?

-David

On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:32 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

d) Load the config files into an XML database (Apache Xindice)
manipulate with a UI/wizzard to your heart's content, verify the
structure against an xsd, flush it to the original filename.  The
benefit of using an xml database as opposed to just reading/writing
the original file is that you're able to make the changes in a
transaction manner.  For instance changing the http port, you can
change url.properties and ofbiz-containers simultaneously.