David E Jones wrote:
With modern systems, especially highly integrated ones like OFBiz, we can do crazy things to get actual inventory costs and so on, but for COGS calculations companies often don't want that. Because goods purchased for resale vary in price and such, and there is often a desire to even out such costs over a longer period, they actually prefer to use averages and such because they are allowed in GAAP and they can make the company's books look better.

The pages I posted to the Wiki have an example of what you described - using different costing methods to achive a desired result.