David,
I totally agree with your vision, the purpose of my original proposal to use
the JIRA roadmap feature was just to have a clear understanding of your
points 1), 2) and 3)
So that, day by day, everyone can clearly see what the community has decided
to "clean up before we do a release", "just develop and include" and
"critical bugs or security holes we should fix".

Creating a JIRA version (even for the framework only), selecting issues and
scheduling them for that version is just how jira helps us to do your point
1), 2) and 3).

-Bruno