I don't agree that attempting to control OFBiz user permissions through a management application is useless. There are a number of programs here where I work that integrate well with NDS and allow me to control them through a single management console.

I can't imagine being in a large corporation and having to create user logins and passwords multiple times for each user. That would be an administration nightmare!

Anyways...

David - you mentioned integrating OFBiz with LDAP for clients, yet I don't see any evidence of it in OFBiz. Is there a chance you could share your insights with me? Do you think it would be worth checking into including Apache DS in OFBiz? Like we do with Tomcat?

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean Shi, but I think we're on the same page with the problem with this: different applications tend to have different permission sets, business processes that pass through the applications, different ways of organizing and interpreting permissions, and so on. You could configure groups of users in LDAP (along with the authentication info), but added permissions as well is not terribly useful.

Some applications certainly put their permissions in LDAP, and are made to be configured entirely through LDAP, which becomes a data store that is an alternative to a relational database. However, it doesn't mean that other applications will be able to share that permission data, it just won't mean anything in the other apps.

-David