David E Jones wrote:

On Jun 24, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

Looking at this more, I don't see why anyone would even use the Meters data the way it is set up now. It's kinda useless.

Wow, aren't we in a friendly mood...

Sorry. I didn't mean to come across that way. My apologies to Anil as well.

If I want to maintain meter readings on a fixed asset, I should not have to create a fixed asset maintenance. I might want to log the copy count on a copier, or hours used on a projector. I should be able to keep a log of meter readings outside of creating maintenances.

On the other hand, a meter reading might trigger the creation of a fixed asset maintenance - if that meter reading crosses a maintenance threshold.

If no one objects, I'd like to refactor the meter reading code and data a little bit to make it more usable.

Is this a declaration that you're giving up on seeking to understand before you seek to be understood?

Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on specific improvements.

You are correct that there is place to record an arbitrary meter reading... but from a business process perspective what would that actually be used for? When and why would that data be entered into the system?

A lathe operator records a meter reading after a production run. A delivery driver records an odometer reading at the end of the day. An office assistant records the copy count of a copier. I could go on...

Each meter reading could be entered without the need to create a maintenance. In addition (as I mentioned earlier) those meter readings could trigger the creation of a maintenance - when they cross a maintenance threshold.

Again, I apologize for coming across so negatively.