On Jul 16, 2008, at 6:45 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

Hi all,

I am reviewing the stuff I did some time ago in the "bi" component (Business Intelligence, in specialpurpose) and I would like to start to clean up/enhance a few that prototype.

As a first step I would like to separate the lower level services (like the generic ones that are used to translate operational keys into olap keys) for BI from the ones related to specific applications: all the artifacts that are application specific (entities, services and ecas) will be moved to the proper component.

The doubt I have is this: since the higher level component will use the lower level services defined in the specialpurpose/bi component, this will create a bad dependency from applications to specialpurpose...

What is the best way to fix this? Move part of the bi services into the framework? move the bi component into the framework? or for now, since the code there is since a prototype, keep everything into bi (as is now) and postpone this re-factoring?

I'm a big fan of having BI stuff in the framework, like general ETL tools (as much as that applies, and I know those are based on other framework tools) and the ad-hoc reporting web pages based on the star schema tables desired (which is really cool).

The only think I can think of that might be funny is in the ad-hoc reporting tool if it was in the framework we wouldn't want application specific stuff in it. We may end up wanting to have the BI tools in the framework, the ETL implementations per applications component in that component, and a big ad-hoc reporting app that builds on all of that stuff. Of course, maybe that could be data driven too and like in the framework and it wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I do like the framework idea though.