David,

AFAIK, 3D secure is similar to "Verified by Visa" in addition to that it also supports Mastercard. In 3D secure customer authenticate with their banker (issuer bank) and not the Visa or MasterCard site and yes they waives the right to repudiation as they use their bank userid/password to authenticate.

I know some of the merchant banks in UK made it mandatory to use 3D secure for CC processing. I am not sure how useful it could be for end customers but vendor have little choice when their merchant bank makes it mandatory to use 3D secure as part of CC processing. Only alternative is to switch to the other merchant bank which may not be feasible sometime.

Thanks,

Raj

David E Jones wrote:

On a side note, is 3D Secure like the old "Verified by Visa" thingy that was supposed to make things more secure for "customers" but by using it customers actually waived the right to repudiation. In other words, if someone was able to get your CC information and Verified by Visa username/password then they could commit fraud and Visa wouldn't help you out with it at all.

In other words, for your extra pain of signing up and using the problem, the customer was rewarded by not being able to repudiate fraudulent charges.

If the same is true for 3D Secure then chances are it won't be on the radar for very long... when was the last time anyone here was asked to implement for Verified by Visa?

-David