I could be wrong on this, but I believe that "3D Secure" is the name of the
protocol and "Verified by Visa" is the customer brand.  They may have changed
the name when they started verifying Mastercard also.

Some banks did mandate use of the VbV program in the past, but I'm not sure if
that's the case anymore.  You may have better information on this than I.

Well, I look at it this way...

Right now, there's really no credit card security whatsoever.  Sure, there's
AVS, but anyone with your credit card information can usually find out enough
about you to add an additional address at your issuing bank.  Other stores will
let you send out purchases to other addresses as "gifts".
There's also CVV, but if a store or a customer's machine is hacked, the CVV
code can be compromised.  Then there's the merchants who retain the CVV code
even though they shouldn't.  (I haven't seen that myself, but I'm sure it's out
there.)

In theory, 3DS should be more secure as it would require the issuer to be
hacked or the customer's computer to be compromised.  That said, there are some
scary scenarios that could be brought up.

However, that's not to say that repudiation isn't also a big issue.  It is.
And as ofbiz primarily caters to mail order businesses, they have ZERO
protection from credit card fraud and repudiation.  Basically, if someone makes
a purchase and decides they don't want to pay, they just call up their issuer,
say it was fraud, and the money comes out of the merchant's account.  The
merchant has very little recourse.

In summary:

1)  3DS should reduce fraud, at least for participants, and at least until new
methods are invented/implemented to capture cardholder's PINs.
2)  3DS should reduce repudiation, by making it harder for those who wish to
raise the specter of fraud to get out of paying for a product or service.
3)  3DS will give some security (and a better rate) to mail order merchants who
currently have none.
4)  3DS does break new legal ground, and I'm sure in time the courts or
legislature will have to sort it out.  Some jurisdictions already have, I think
JLR mentioned a pro-consumer law in France.

There's good and bad in there, but ultimately, the consumer decides if they
want to participate.  I haven't been forced to participate in VbV on any of my
cards, and I hold cards (through aquisition/mergers, etc) with the biggest
issuers in the US.  If I were forced to participate, I'd go elsewhere, whether
it's another issuer or another brand (discover, amex, etc).  There's nothing
wrong with that.

It sounds like you have someone who wants to implement a feature in such a way
that it can be disabled, where's the harm?  Refusing to allow it to be put in
only raises the barriers to adopting ofbiz.  Those who wish to implement 3DS
will implement it in ofbiz, or will choose a product that does so OOTB.

Chris Lombardi