I looked at using Cosmo as a CalDAV servlet. There is more to be done than just connecting it to the OFBiz data store (it uses Hibernate). I would also have to figure out a way to get it to use OFBiz's user authentication. I'm sure I would run into other issues down the road.

I tried to extend the Tomcat Webdav servlet class, but too much of the class was made private, so I can't access most of its properties and methods.

I think I'll go ahead and develop our own CalDAV servlet. Using the iCal4j library, the Tomcat Webdav servlet class, and Cosmo as resources I think it will be fairly simple to get something going. It will have limited ability at first, but we can build it out later if there is any interest in it.

Just in case there is anyone who doesn't understand where I'm going with this... my goal is to have OFBiz appear to be an iCalendar server - which will serve work efforts as iCalendar data. This will enable iCalendar-enabled clients (Apple's iCal, Mozilla Sunbird) to view work effort calendars.

-Adrian

Adrian Crum wrote:
It's kind of going in the same direction as the LDAP integration discussion we had a few years ago - where a simple requirement to share a password turned into a proposal to make OFBiz an LDAP server.

In this case, all I wanted was to set up a client app to query OFBiz for work effort events so that reminders (or alarms) could pop up. Now it's turning into a more involved task that would make OFBiz an iCal server.

I'm looking at Cosmo right now.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

I wish I had done more research in this area. Actually, I think that Andrew Zeneski mentioned some things along these lines not too long ago. Any thoughts Andrew?

Whatever is easiest while still doing what is needed would be the way to go (yeah, I know, that's a pretty duh/obvious statement). What I mean is that if you can write some datastore adapter for an existing library and that fits the bill, then great! If we need more flexibility/control and actually want to generate the text files needed from templates then that may be a bit more work (or may not be, depending on how easy the data mappings are!), but may be more generally useful down the road.

Either way, very cool effort.

-David