Even if you gave each test it's own data, you would still need the
demo data to provide all of the supporting data needed to effectively
test the system, each test couldn't set the system up in it's
entirety.

The database is supposed to be cleared before and after running the
tests, so using the demo data doesn't prevent people from using the
demo data for demos.

The reason the tests are broken at the moment is not because demo data
was used/misused but because it wasn't understood that the entire test
suite should pass in a single sweep, if I understand correctly the
test being committed was tested as a standalone unit.  Normally the
test would have failed while being developed, the problem spotted and
fixed.

Regards
Scott