My reply to another message seems to fit this exactly:

I'll acknowledge that more than one release per year could happen, but I'd be really surprised to see it happen. When a release branch is done it seems to take many months to back-port enough bug fixes from the trunk and get fixes in from other sources to actually make it fairly solid and functional.

We also have the issue of update paths and scripts or whatever. If we have too many releases it causes a lot more confusion for prospective users about which release to use, and also causes more effort to maintain more update paths between releases. If we only release every 1-2 years then it is generally pretty clear which one to use.

Actually, I've spelled a lot of this out a long time ago here and as far as general concepts and issues go I don't think much has changed:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan

To sum up: we could certainly try it (I'm up for trying anything), but I think with the lack of resources that a single release branch was able to rally it would be even more distracting and dispersing of resources to have multiple release branches close together. My guess was 3 months to get bugs worked out of a release branch, and I think it really took more like 6-9 months for release4.0. If we do releases closer together I don't think they will EVER get cleaned up with the bugs worked out.

-David