hi guys,

my colleagues (rajib khan and guy gershoni) and have been working with ofbiz
for over 3 years now. we're currently going through the process of
"upgrading" to the latest trunk of ofbiz. we've done this periodically for a
few months and tried really hard to keep our own customisations abstracted
out (so merges are less painful).

i've been following this discussion with interest. because of the pain of
merging in changes from a not-totally-stable trunk (i know that it's not
stable -- cos it's a development trunk!) we need to decide when to "cut our
losses" and move away from the development trunk. some of the recent changes
have been radical enough to slow down our development significantly.

so... we'd like to stay "connected" to the development community and
contribute back changes where that's useful (eg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1906). plus we can of course
benefit from fixes in the trunk. however, on reflection, the destabilisation
that results from merging is too great a burden for us to keep doing. (eg,
commit 712932 to ShoppingCart.java was a deep problem for us because we're
extending a number of classes in this file).

[aside: a potential discussion is whether or how can ofbiz users customise
classes? is it bad practice? in our case we have modified the shopping cart
because we want the OrderItem to be extended too.]

hence my interest in this topic. specifically because our team would like to
"lock on" to a stable release branch. we're way ahead of release branch4.0
and have noticed release9.3 appeared recently.

given the list of "must do" and "would like to get done" *before* release9.3
is bedded down, what is a reasonable time frame for this to happen?

short version: *when will release branch 9.3 be committed as stable?*

the answer to that will determine whether we remain connected to the trunk
and seek to commit/merge changes and "play our part" in the community.

many thanks,

luke.