David E Jones wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>> Stepping back a little, why do you want to cache data from those
>>> entities?
>>
>> Two steps forward, one step back....
>>
>> Why would you *not* want to?
>
> Sorry, I asked first and I want to hear someone's understand of when
> it's actually helpful to use a cache, especially for something like
> order or party entities...
>
> If someone wants to hear my thoughts on when it is helpful to use a
> cache, well... the mailing list archives probably have a dozen such
> comments (related to frequency of access versus change, access
> population size versus change population size, sensitivity to being
> stale, etc).

Bother, I hate discussions like this.

If you know something, if you know the reason, if you know why, why
must it be difficult for you to tell what you know?  Why must others
try to infer what is going on inside your mind?

If I know the answer to a question, why would I redirect said question
to other resources?  That just wastes the asker's time.  Just give
them the answer, so they can get back to whatever they were doing before.

With that out of the way...

By default entities are cached.  The default in the dtd means to allow
caching.  It takes an explicit change to disable the cache.  There
must have been some reason why this explicit cache disable was done.
Wouldn't it be useful if such a policy decision was documented, if the
reasons why were written down somewhere?

Since ofbiz sets the default for entity caching to on, ofbiz obviously
 considers entity caching to be worthwhile.

ps: I hate meta-discussions.  But unless they occur, bad communication
will continue to happen.