Well, I guess that would be interesting to look up and see.

IMO widget XML files should not go under the webapp directory because they are not web-only artifacts. Early on there was nothing by the form widget, and it was commonly included from an FTL file (no screen widget, etc), and in that era the form widget XML files did go under the webapp directory... but that was a long time ago and before the more general widget stuff was fleshed out.

-David