Just wanted to weigh in here from a Brainfood perspective. Brainfood is very interested in using BIRT to solve reporting problems for customers.

I am more interested in BIRT than Jasper Reports for several reasons including: good Eclipse integration which is good for in-house IT reporting capabilities in a customer, prefer the CPL over the LGPL, Google appears to favor BIRT by granting it a higher result count. If I had another high level contender for reporting it would be generating OpenOffice documents because of the much better WYSIWYG content layout tools that OpenOffice provides. The license of OpenOffice is problematic for OFBiz so BIRT is the better choice for the project. Arguably, however, one could do some things to generate ODF format documents and ignore the fact that OpenOffice is the defacto standard for rendering them.

I know some about the BIRT architecture and believe its calculated report feeds offer the ability to pull data directly from the EntityEngine. I haven't had time to examine Hans' implementation but I am very curious about it.

My $0.02

Scott Gray wrote:
I haven't looked at the branch and I know nothing about birt but I do have some questions:

Other than the branch itself is there any documentation about this component, how it works and what it acheives?

How does it relate to the existing BI component? Is it going to make that component redundant?

Has any effort been put into looking at other reporting utilities or are we just dumping this into the framework because it's (arguably) ready to go? Does it need to go into the framework or could it work just as well as a special purpose component which might make for easier replacement later on? If not, why not?