openjdk is becoming part of several linux distributions, mac os leopard includes only jre 1.6, so by now it is probably easier to update an old installation than to downgrade a new one. jre 1.5 has been an "alien" on windows and linux all this time, so once again it should be easy for these systems to update...
manuel.