We've got a client that wants to offer free shipping based on certain
conditions; namely, whether the order > a certain dollar amount.   If
the condition matches, then they can get the cheapest free shipping,
but only to a particular region, namely USA, and standard mail.

I can't see how to do that in the promo system.  I can match a promo
by total $$ amount.  I can't then give free
shipping(ProductPromoWorker references PROMO_FREE_SHIPPING, but that
isn't in the seed data).  Even fixing that problem, I don't see a way
to change the list of available shipping methods for a product store.

Can anyone offer any pointers?