On Apr 17, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> I hear Jacopo on it not being worth the trouble but I agree with Tim that
> showing more than one release is important.

If there is enough interest I will do the necessary steps to prepare the
release package and start a vote, I am not against this, but I would like to
get more positive feedback before I start the process.
Even if it is a bit weird to release and older release a few days after a newer
has been released; but of course we will not give much visibility to this one,
and I understand it is more like a paperwork.

>  A related thing that releasing 4.0 signals is that we are concerned about
> providing long-term support for the product. Support is an important factor
> for decision makers evaluating OFBiz as a solution for their business.

The only signal we can give is that we do what we can to provide to the
community (final users, service providers etc...) the resources (in this case
the resource is the official release package available thru mirrors) to
facilitate the work of supporting older releases; but the burden to support the
releases is up to the community, if there are no contributions then the
releases (in term of support, docs etc...) will not be much different from
trunk snapshots. It is important that we all understand that there are no
(implied) promises for support, backward compatibility etc. when the PMC issues
a release. It is up to the community the burden of maintaining it.

Kind regards,

Jacopo