If this was removed, what would people who use this now use instead?

BTW, it is a general practice that we avoid any SQL (even parts of select
clauses) in OFBiz itself since this introduces a risk of not working on certain
databases. However, just because a feature isn't used in the OFBiz applications
doesn't mean we should remove it from the OFBiz framework (if that was the case
there is a LOT of stuff we should remove... the framework could be half its
size!).

-David